Gainesville Man Arrested for Animal Abuse
A Gainesville man is behind bars tonight after officers arrested him on animal abuse charges.
Officers say 26-year-old Melvin Shackelford's Great Dane was in such an emaciated state that all of its ribs, and rear tail and leg bones were clearly visible. A vet examined the rescued dog and says the animal was 50 to 60 pounds underweight, and the only cause is due to lack of food.
Shackelford is in the Alachua County jail on no bond.
- Man Accused of Animal Abuse says "I'm not a bad guy"
- Man Arrested In Abuse Case
- Animal Abuse in Bradford County; Four Dogs left on Roadside
- Neighbors Claim Animal Abuse
- Abused Animals Set Second Chance At Auction
- Animal Abuse in Dixie County
- Man arrested after standoff in SW Gainesville
- Gainesville Man Stopped for Seat Belt Violation, Arrested for Drug Possession
- Gainesville Man Arrested For Luring Woman Through Craigslist Ad
- Gainesville Man Arrested on Drug Charges Following Traffic Stop