Students Kick Off Veterans Day Festivities One Day Early
With no classes Wednesday, a number of schools across Alachua County honored veterans Tuesday.
Students at Metcalfe Elementary in Gainesville came together for a special tribute to honor veterans. Men and women from the different branches of the armed forces gave short presentations to the students, including one from Tuskegee Airman Stephen Lawrence who lives in Gainesville.
Organizers at Metcalfe hope the first celebration won't be the last one.
"I hope that this will be a tradition that once I'm long gone that will continue because learning about what it takes to keep our country safe and beautiful is of utmost importance," said Elaine Ward, a music teacher at Metcalfe.
- Gator Jazz and Blues Festival Kicks Off Homecoming Weekend
- Kick off Summer with Festive Decorations
- Spring Garden Festival kicks off this weekend
- Business program for veterans kicks off
- UF students kicked off the "Big Event" program in Alachua County
- 2,000 Students Celebrate Veterans Day in Marion County
- Marion County students appreciate Veterans Day in Ocala
- Trail Life USA Kicks Off
- Safe Sleep Campaign Kicks Off
- Man kicked off UF campus