Bacteria Detected at Shands Cancer Tower
A thorough sterilization process is taking place at the new Shands cancer tower... after a dangerous bacteria was detected in a patient's room... and a patient was diagnosed with Legionaire's Disease.
Shands officials say it's not an epidemic... they just want the community to be aware of the issue.
Patients, visitors and staff cannot drink the water or use the ice machine until treatment is finished.
Patients can't shower either.
Hospital officials say this only affects the cancer center.. not Shands at UF's north campus.
Legionaire's Disease will affect 18,000 people in the U.S. this year.
He says it's typically sick people who are the most at risk... and the disease cannot be spread person to person.
Officials say the treatment process to be completed by Thursday evening.
- Patient Dies from Bacteria found in Shands Cancer Center
- Better Detection for Prostate Cancer
- New Guidelines for Prostate Cancer Treatment and Detection
- Construction Nearing Completion at New Shands Cancer Hospital
- New Shands Cancer Hospital
- Meeting Scheduled for Legionaire's Disease found at Shands Cancer Center
- FAA Delays Closing of Airport Control Towers
- Century Tower Reaches a Ringing Milestone
- New Bed Tower at The VA Hospital
- Hawthorne Water Tower Comes Down