Alachua County's Teacher of the Year
In the annual "teacher of the year program," Alachua county found three teachers who are helping launch dreams. TV20's Kristin Giannas reports however, one of the finalists almost didn't teach this year.
Idylwild elementary school teacher Kristy Foster says the budget cuts that threatened alachua county schools last year almost ended her career, but the county tax increase approved by voters brought her passion back to life.
"I'm just really grateful to the people of Alachua county that voted, the tax increaser, so that schools could have full time art and full time music," said Foster. This year she's one of three nominees for the county's annual teacher of the year award.
Representing middle school's best is Howard Bishop social studies teacher Tanesha Dixon, a uf grad who has been teaching for 6 years.
"If you wake up on Monday morning, and you're excited and you just cant wait to get to work, then this is the place for you," said Dixon.
Eastside high school math teacher Crista Wright,called "momma wright" by students,loves the relationships she forms in the classroom.
"The thing that really stands out the most to me was when someone accidentally called me 'mom;' I wasn't just 'Ms. Wright' there was that personal connection," said Wright.
Of the three finalists, one will be selected on February 11th as the overall alachua county teacher of the year, who will then represent the district in the Florida teacher of the year program.
- Alachua County's Teacher of the Year
- Alachua County's Teacher Of The Year
- Two Years Later, Alachua County's Airboat Noise Ordinance Goes Unenforced
- Alachua County's 'Foster Grandparents' On Hold Due to Government Shutdown
- Statewide Wage Theft Bill Fails, Paving the Way for Alachua County's Ordinance
- Alachua County's 2009 Budget
- Huge Addition To Alachua County's Public Lands, Levy Prairie
- Alachua County Teachers Gear Up For New School Year
- Alachua County Hasn't Seen Rabies in Feral Cats in Four Years
- Changes to County's CHOICES Program