Dixie County deputy and Two Women fatally wounded In Shootout
Capt. Chad Reed, a Dixie County deputy was fatally wounded Thursday in a shootout with a man suspected of killing two people and wounding two others earlier that day.
Authorities say Capt. Reed and the suspect, John Kalisz, 55, were both transported by helicopter Thursday afternoon to Shands Hospital in Gainesville. Sheriff Dewey Hatcher confirmed that Reed died later at the hospital. Kalisz's condition was not known.
Reed and other deputies tried to arrest Kalisz in Cross City Thursday afternoon. Earlier that day, Kalisz went to a home near Brooksville and fatally shot Kathryn Donovan and Deborah Buckley Tillotson, both of Brooksville. Amy Wilson and Kathryn's daughter, Manessa Donovan of Brooksville were taken to hospital. On Thursday night they were listed in stable condition. A motive was not known, but Hernando County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Donna Black said, it was domestic in nature.
Kalisz is the uncle of one of the victims.
Black says if Kalisz survives he will be charged with two counts of murder and two counts of attempted murder.
Reed is survived by his wife, Holly, two young sons, and a large extended family. He has spent his entire career working for Dixie County, serving as a volunteer firefighter, paramedic, emergency services director and at the sheriff's office.
Reed's funeral is set for 3 p.m. Sunday at the First Baptist Church of Cross City, also on Highway 19. The service is open to the public.
Visitation for Captain Reed will take place Saturday from 5 to 8 p.m. at the Rick Gooding Funeral Home on Highway 19 in Cross City.
- Fire Fatality Kills Two Women
- Crash Kills Two Fathers and Two Teens in Dixie County
- Deputies: Gainesville Man Stalks, Sends Threatening Messages To Two Women
- State Leaders Comment On Dixie County Deputy Shooting
- Man Shot by Dixie County Sheriff's Deputy
- Car Crash in Dixie County; Two Men Airlifted to Shands
- Fatal Crash in Hamilton County Leaves Two Dead
- Robbery Suspect Killed During Shootout with Deputies
- Levy County Deputies Make Second Meth Bust in Two Days
- Alachua County Sheriff's Deputies Rehabilitate Two Starved Horses