Dixie Sheriff's Captain Killed in Gunfight, Suspect Shot
Hernando County Sheriff's Office say a Dixie County Sheriff's Captain has been shot by a man they say shot four other people. Two women are dead, while another woman and a possibly pregnant teenager were taken to the hospital tonight.
Deputies believe the shooter John Kalisz, 56 years old, is related to at least one of the victims. Kalisz told his brother he would shoot any law enforcement who tried to stop him.
The shooting spree started in Brooksville, Hernando County just before 3p.m. this afternoon. Kalisz fled to Dixie County where he got into a gun fight with deputies at a gas station. Kalisz and the deputy were taken to Shands in Gainesville.
TV20 has confirmed that Captain Chad Reed, 33, of the Dixie County Sheriff's Department died earlier this evening at Shands Hospital in Gainesville. No condition report is available for Kalisz.
- Man Shot by Dixie County Sheriff's Deputy
- Controversy Surrounds Sheriff's Captain Demotion
- Former Police Captain's Son is Shot, Killed
- Putnam County Sheriff's Deputy Shot
- Ocala Man Shot Twice by Sheriff's Deputy in Stable Condition
- Suspect Shot, Killed Following Chase
- Wanted Tennessee Fugitive Arrested Across the Street from Alachua County Sheriff's Office
- Columbia County Sheriff's Position Up For Grabs
- Alachua County Sheriff's Office E-mail Causes Controversy Over Racism
- Sheriff's Office to Study Salaries