Dixie Sheriff's Captain Killed in Gunfight, Suspect Shot
Hernando County Sheriff's Office say a Dixie County Sheriff's Captain has been shot by a man they say shot four other people. Two women are dead, while another woman and a possibly pregnant teenager were taken to the hospital tonight.
Deputies believe the shooter John Kalisz, 56 years old, is related to at least one of the victims. Kalisz told his brother he would shoot any law enforcement who tried to stop him.
The shooting spree started in Brooksville, Hernando County just before 3p.m. this afternoon. Kalisz fled to Dixie County where he got into a gun fight with deputies at a gas station. Kalisz and the deputy were taken to Shands in Gainesville.
TV20 has confirmed that Captain Chad Reed, 33, of the Dixie County Sheriff's Department died earlier this evening at Shands Hospital in Gainesville. No condition report is available for Kalisz.
- Former Police Captain's Son is Shot, Killed
- Teen Shot and Killed in Palatka
- Friend speaks out after Putnam County man shot, killed
- Ocala Man Shot Twice by Sheriff's Deputy in Stable Condition
- Suspect's comments initiate FBI investigation
- ASO Captain Keith Vermillion Suspended
- ASO Captain Keith Vermillion terminated amidst agency turmoil
- Burglary Victim Offering a Reward for Arrest of Suspect(s)
- A Federal Gun Charge Could Be Filed Against SWAT Standoff Suspect
- Alzhemier's Bracelet Programs Keep Track of Elderly