Fire Destroys Gainesville Mobile Home
Shortly before 10 a.m. Saturday, officials say they received a call about a fire at the Candlelight Estates Mobile Home Community, which is located at NE 12th Avenue in Gainesville.
Ray Latson said all that's left of his mobile home are charred pieces of wood and an empty structure.
"We was without power, so I was using candles and I thought I put them all out," Latson said.
"In this particular instance, there was no electricity, but the quick action of GFR, we were on the scene within a hurry, got the fire knocked down," Acting Fire Chief Terry McCarthy said.
McCarthy said that the family was lucky to get out alive. He said fire rescue continues to stress how important fire safety really is.
"We cannot emphasize enough about how important smoke detectors are and things like that," McCarthy said.
As for Latson, he said they have nothing now.
"I've lost everything, my job, where are we gonna live," Latson said. "Just trying to figure out what I am gonna do from here. We have no idea we're were gonna go, hopefully somebody can help us out."
The Red Cross is assisting the family, but only for the next three days.
- Four Mobile Homes Destroyed by Fires in Citra
- Fire destroys mobile home in Belleview
- Fire Destroys Gainesville Home
- Early Morning Fire Destroys Gainesville Home
- Heater Destroys Mobile Home
- Fire Marshals investigate mobile home fire
- Fire Flares Up Twice, Destroys Home
- Newberry Home Destroyed in Fire
- Early Morning Fire Destroys Home Near Jonesville
- Fire Destroys Home in Fairbanks