International Artist Creates Political Drawings For Gainesville Museum
They say a picture is worth a thousand words and for one international artist visiting Gainesville he hopes these pictures will get the people talking.
What person wouldn't want to be able to pick up a marker and write on the walls. It's illegal in some places, but not here. The Harn Museum is all about expression.
"Yeah, it's pretty interesting what's going on here," Harn Museum Curator Kerry Oliver-Smith said. "It's part of Project Europa, imagining the impossible. The exibition is based on art and politics, art and democracy, and pacifically as it relates after the fall of the Berlin Wall."
Oliver-Smith, the museum's curator for contemporary art, hopes Gainesville will come and appreciate the political works. The exibition will feature 19 artists from the British Isles to Turkey working in all aspects of media. But, she thinks people will really enjoy the walls of the rotunda being worked on by Romanian Artist Dan Perjovschi.
Perjovschi said he found that expression in what he calls a humorous cartoon graphic type grafitti. Using museums as a platform to display his work, he said he gets a lot of mixed emotions.
"I understand all kinds of reactions because that depends on the culture of the visitor on how open it is, how curious it is, but most of the answers are positive," Perjovschi said.
Visitors can watch Dan Perjovschi draw at the Harn Museum up until February 5th. Project Europa opens to the public February 7th and continues until May 9th.
- Local Artist Owns 3D Fluorescent Art Museum
- Four Gainesville companies qualify for $50,000 Cade Museum prize
- Gainesville Police Officer Steps Down Because of Internal Investigation
- International Network Celebrates its Launch from Gainesville
- Gainesville chorus to compete internationally
- International company expands in East Gainesville
- Gainesville Businesses Work to Draw in Crowds During Gator Away Games
- Gainesville Commissioners discuss creating own Governance Board
- CMT creates TV show "Gainesville"
- Gainesville man creates life-size TIE Fighter