Mitsubishi MU-2 Planes Have a History of Accidents
Federal investigators are investigating what caused the plane crash-- and it could be awhile before they announce their findings.
But some experienced pilots here in North Central Florida say... they have an idea.
The plane was a Mitsubishi MU-2B... and officials from University Air Center, where the plane took off today, say.... this type of plane has smaller wings, to make it faster. And in the past, that's led to some deadly problems.
According to the National Transportation Safety board, of the 800 MU-2s built between 1967 and 1985, 200 have been in crashes, many fatal.
Two years ago, the FAA issued a mandate for all MU-2 pilots to take special training.
Officials with Mitsubishi Heavy Industries America, Inc released a statement saying they plan to be at the site on Tuesday and that their thoughts and prayers are with the families of the pilot and passengers.
- Serious Two Car Accident Might Have Involved a Third Vehicle
- Volusia Schools Will Keep Using History Book
- Matheson Museum Brings Alachua County History to Life
- Domestic Violence History
- Sunshine Festival Celebrates Florida History
- Gainesville Property Owners Claim Damages Against Woman with Questionable History
- Images from History, A Time Remembered
- Sidney Lanier Drum Line Making History
- Battle of Micanopy Commemorates 176th Anniversary with Living History
- Students Performing During Black History Month