New Drivers License Regulations Cause Frustration
Florida drivers trying to renew their licenses are running into some new road blocks. Today was the first day the state began requiring additional forms of identification in order to renew a license or ID card. As Whitney Ray tells us, drivers unfamiliar with the new requirements are being sent home to get more identification.
Renewing a drivers license just became more demanding, in part because of Real ID, a federal program passed after 9/11 to make it harder for people to lie about who they are. Florida is one of the first states to enact Real ID regulations. “To get a Real ID you need four forms of Identification; a passport, social security card, or birth certificate will verify who you are, bills or a W2 form will verify where you live, but what will no longer work is an old Florida drivers license,” says Ray.
ID seeker Kimani Franklin wasn’t aware of the new requirements and was sent home to get more information. “It’s getting to the point where you have to have a filing cabinet in your car.” Another DMV ID hopeful, Brenda Green, arrived worried she did not have enough documentation with her. The new regulations have caused some upset, but ultimately, most understand why the government is asking for more identification. Driver Brenda Green said, “...I understand...that there are so many things going on now in the world so you don’t really know.”
Once Kimani returned, he qualified for the new ID, but did not leave with it. They DMV does not take VISA. After facing the new Real ID regulations, Kimani had little to say, "One word, frustrating."
A pain in the neck for drivers, but comfort to national security workers who say the new standards could help keep terrorists off planes and out of the country.
- New Regulations Cause Plasma Shortage
- New Changes to Getting and Updating Driver's Licenses
- U.S. 301 closure causes frustration
- Northwest Gainesville Road Construction Frustrates Drivers
- Sex Offenders and Predators Get Special Driver's License Status
- Gainesville City Commissioners Consider New Roam Towing Regulations
- New Safety Regulations For Tattoo Parlors
- New Florida Boating Regulations
- New Cigarette Tax Frustrates Local Businesses
- New Bill Could Bring License fees Down