State Leaders Comment On Dixie County Deputy Shooting
State leaders mourned the loss of a Dixie County law enforcement officer.
Long time Dixie County Sheriff's Deputy Chad Reed was shot and killed in the line of duty Thursday evening.
"Last night's tragic shooting reminds us that Florida's law enforcement officers risk their lives every day in service to the people of Florida," Gov. Crist wrote in an e-mail. "Captain Reed dedicated his life to serving and protecting the families and businesses of Dixie County. Clearly, his brave actions in the face of danger are the marks of a true hero. We will hold his wife Holly, their two sons, and all of his family and friends in our thoughts and prayers."
"I was deeply saddened to learn that Dixie County Sheriff Captain Chad
Reed last night made the ultimate sacrifice, placing the safety of his
community above his own life," Attorney General Bill McCollum said. "My thoughts and prayers are with his wife Holly and their two young
children, his family and his friends this morning as they grieve his
untimely passing and with all members of the Dixie County Sheriff's Office
as they come to terms with this senseless tragedy."
The Florida Department of Law Enforcement is investigating the shooting and continues to gather evidence and interview witnesses.
More details are expected to be released Friday afternoon. Check back for more updates on wcjb.com.
- A Teen Shoots A Volusia County Sheriff's Deputy
- Man Shot by Dixie County Sheriff's Deputy
- Dixie County deputy and Two Women fatally wounded In Shootout
- Columbia County Deputy Forced to Shoot Attacking Dog
- Columbia County Shooting Involving Deputy
- Close Race for Dixie County Judge, Mixed Emotions Among Residents
- Deputy Involved in Fatal Shooting
- Two Tampa Bay Deputies Shoot Suspect Several Times
- Man Shoots at Deputies, Charged with Attempted Murder
- Manatee Co. Officials Identify Deputy Involved in Shooting