One In Three Alachua County Students Are Overweight
One in every three. That's the ratio of students in Alachua County that are considered obese or overweight.
The Alachua County Healthy Communities Committee hopes it can change that, starting with a closer look at the elementary school level.
Using information from last school year, a map was created comparing different elementary school zones. Varying numbers of students from each zone were studied to see if they were overweight or obese.
The four zones with the highest numbers had at least 35 percent. The bottom four had at least one quarter of overweight or obese students.
The hope is this data representation gives a clearer picture of the problem. The committee is creating a website where members could post information related to a number of health topics.
- Three sinkholes within three miles, heavy rain is to blame
- After three years, Thomas pleads to murder of Rosemary Jenkins
- Three of four arrested in Archer shooting
- One Class at a Time: Meet February Winner Brooke Newell
- One Class at a Time: Meet December Winner Lawrie Gebhardt
- One Class at a Time: Meet November Winner Janet Wisby
- Paws on Parole helps one man find a new best friend
- One Class At A Time: Meet December's winner Valerie Anders
- One Class At A Time: Meet January's winner Anabelle Sanchez
- One Class At A Time: Kyla Cacciabeve