One In Three Alachua County Students Are Overweight
One in every three. That's the ratio of students in Alachua County that are considered obese or overweight.
The Alachua County Healthy Communities Committee hopes it can change that, starting with a closer look at the elementary school level.
Using information from last school year, a map was created comparing different elementary school zones. Varying numbers of students from each zone were studied to see if they were overweight or obese.
The four zones with the highest numbers had at least 35 percent. The bottom four had at least one quarter of overweight or obese students.
The hope is this data representation gives a clearer picture of the problem. The committee is creating a website where members could post information related to a number of health topics.
- Alachua County Students Play Mayor for the Day
- Three sinkholes within three miles, heavy rain is to blame
- I-75 Accident Takes One More Life, Total Of Three
- Woman's Roof has Leaked for Three Years- Now She's Getting a New One
- Gainesville crash kills one, injures three
- Pellet Gun Hits Three Students at School
- After three years, Thomas pleads to murder of Rosemary Jenkins
- Three of four arrested in Archer shooting
- Alachua County Democratic Party Wants Alachua County Democratic Black Caucus Charter Revoked
- UF student at scene of one of the Paris attacks