Craig Carter defeats Susan Bottcher 53-47%...Todd Chase wins easily...Annie Orlando & Helen Warren go to runoff
Campus Standoff Ends With Gunfire
After an hour-long standoff, University of Florida police shot a student Tuesday night who had barricaded himself in an apartment on campus.
UFPD Captain Jeff Holcomb says a resident of the Corry Village apartment complex called police when screaming was heard in a neighboring apartment. When police investigated, they found 35 year old Kofi Adu-Brempon, a doctoral student, would not cooperate. Adu-Brempong barricaded himself inside his apartment and refused to come out. After an hour of failed negotiations, Holcomb says police decided to force their way into the apartment. They found Adu-Brempong was armed with a knife and a pipe, and continued to struggle with them even after he was tased. Holcomb says two shots were fired, one hitting Adu-Brempong. He was taken to Shands for treatment; nobody else was hurt.
Corry Village is populated by married and graduate students. Adu-Brempong is from Ghana; he lived alone in the apartment while his wife lives overseas. He had been earning his doctorate in Geography, and teaches classes in the subject as well.
- Ocala Police standoff Ends with Three Arrests
- Stand-Off Ends Peacefully After Mother Pleads With Son to Surrender
- Standoff Ends in Gainesville
- Gunfire Goes Off In An Alachua Neighborhood
- Gunfire in School Parking Lot
- ASO: Robbery Victim Chases Assailants, Faces Gunfire
- Man arrested after standoff in SW Gainesville
- Holiday SWAT Standoff
- Interlachen Man Starts Domestic Dispute, Has Brief Standoff with Deputies
- Levy Man kills Wife, Arrested After Standoff With Deputies