Gainesville Faces Steep Competition For Google's Attention
The city of Gainesville will have some steep competition in getting Google's attention.
Friday was the deadline for cities to express interest.
More than 600 communities have approached the Internet mogul in hopes of landing one of the ultra-fast broadband networks that the company plans to build in a handful of spots around the country.
Last month, Google said it will build experimental fiber-optic networks that will deliver Internet connections of 1 gigabit-per-second. That would be up to 300 times faster than the broadband services reaching most homes.
The company will announce winners by the end of the year.
- Gainesville to Google: Pick Us For High Speed Internet Test!
- Google To Gainesville?
- Gainesville Camellia competition
- Gainesville Students National Champs in Medical Competition
- Bell's Austin Ritchey Wins High School Play of the Year Competition!
- GAIN'S FastPitch Startup Competition
- Alachua County Sheriff's Office Receives SWAT Competition Award
- Gainesville Charity Facing Freeze on Funding from City of Gainesville
- UF Student Googled Himself and Discovered This...
- Fire Safety Comes to the Forefront of Attention