There are multiple victims in a shooting in the town of Bell. We have confirmed there are deaths.
Eastside High School Cuts ROTC Program
The ROTC program at a local high school is about to be cut.
Eastside High School and the Alachua County School Board say this is the last year for the school's ROTC program. Two instructors will lose their jobs, but students can transfer to Gainesville High School if they want to stay in the program.
Students are upset and have started a petition.
Jackie Johnson with the Alachua County School Board justifies the decision by saying state funding is based on enrollment, and in an elective class, you've got to have a certain number of students to keep the class.
"For this class we really need to have about 150 students at the school taking that program, and unfortunately we only have 46, so there just aren't enough students to maintain that program at Eastside High School," said Johnson.
Officials also say the county will provide additional transportation for students who want to transfer to GHS for the program. However, GHS doesn't offer the International Baccalaureate program so any students from Eastside wanting to transfer would not be able to graduate from IB.
- One Marion County High School Cuts Agriculture Program
- Maritime Simulator Makes Debut at Ribbon Cutting
- Eastside High School's Soulfest Brings Down the House
- Master Chefs of the CIA at Eastside High School
- Eastside High School Athlete Dies
- Five Eastside High School Students Win Nasa's Student Astronaut Challenge
- Eastside High Marching Rams Kick Off School Year
- State Senators Look To Cut Funding For Homeless Programs
- County Commission Votes in Favor of Budget Cuts to Community Agency Partnership Program
- Eastside Students Score High in Math Competition