Firefighter Saves Family Dog
It could happen to anyone, a North Central Florida woman turned her back on her stove for just a minute, but that's all it took for a fire to start. Her family would have lost everything except for a dramatic rescue.
"My neighbor was standing out in the street screaming for Jake, and she said Jake was in the back bedroom, hiding and that he wouldn't come out" said neighbor Lynell Shafer.
Jeff and Robin Levin's retriever was inside, as flames tore through their trailer home.
"The smoke had come all the way to the floor, visibility was almost zero. I had to feel around and ultimately took one of my gloves off, and noticed that it was the dog," said Lt. Andy Burkhalter of Alachua County Fire Rescue. Jake had taken refuge inside the master bedroom closet.
"I just remember a man carrying him out and he was just limp and he was not breathing," said Shafer.
Lt. Burkhalter passed Jake to paramedics, who gave the retriever oxygen and water. Burkhalter's efforts were soon rewarded. Jake survived.
"My sticker says the same thing as everybody elses, Alachua County Fire rescue...it was a team effort," said Burkhalter.
- Dogs Left Inside Car Saved By Samaritans & Officer
- Dog Saves Man
- UF Small Animal Hospital Saves Dog
- Anonymous Donor Helps Save Dogs Life
- Kid saved from Dog by Deputy
- Postal Worker Saves Dog's Life
- Dog Saves Woman's Life
- Gator players hope to raise funds to save dog
- Barbecue For The Families of Fallen Firefighters
- Families save hundreds at Super Sealant Saturday