Death toll stands at 51 in Moore, OK. Medical examiner told to expect at least 40 more bodies...20 of them children.
It's Back to the Drawing Board for Cedar Key Art Program
Cedar Key is known for fishing and clamming... but city officials say something else that's just as important to the community is art.
And when the only school on the island was threatened with losing its art program, students, teachers and residents went back to the drawing board.
The art program needs $60,000 a year to operate... a tab the city used to pay but can't afford anymore.
The mayor gave the school the last $40,000 in the art account, leaving students to raise the rest.
Between two fundraisers, and community donations, the school came up with the $20,000 they needed to keep the program for the next school year.
But until they find permanent funding... coming up with the money will continue to be an issue. And residents say losing the art program would mean losing their culture.
- Cedar Key's Art Festival Preparations
- Economic Impact of Cedar Key Arts Festival
- Hundreds Flock To Cedar Key Arts Festival
- 48th Annual Cedar Key Arts Festival
- Going back to drawing board
- Cedar Key's Lighthouse
- Cedar Key's Seafood Festival, A Way Of Life
- Cedar Key residents prepare for Fay
- Cedar Key Police Chief
- Cedar Key Landmark Ready To Re-Open