Student's Cell Phone Video Catches Gym Teacher Stealing From Lockers
OCALA, Fla. (AP) - A Florida high school student's cell phone secretly recorded a teacher accused of swiping cash from lockers.
Steven Simmons, 49, was arrested Thursday on a grand theft charge.
North Marion High students had complained for years someone was stealing out of their lockers. To catch the culprit, a student put his phone in one of the lockers in an otherwise empty locker room.
Simmons, the physical education teacher, was arrested 20 minutes after students showed the phone recording to a school resource officer.
The sheriff's office says Simmons admitted to stealing for years, taking some $400 so far this year.
Simmons offered no comment to reporters after he was released on $2,000 bail Thursday night.
(Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
- Man Steals iPhone, Demands Ransom from Owner
- Missing UF Student's Family, Not Giving Up
- Upcoming Festival Features College Student's Short Films
- Arrests Made in Santa Fe Student's Killing
- Santa Fe College Dealing With Student's Kidnapping
- Student's Condition Improving After Being Hit By Bus
- Dead UF Student's Car Found
- School Nurse Arrested For Stealing Prescription Drugs From Students
- Horizon Students Have Bright Futures With Help From Dedicated Teacher
- Police Now Need Warrant To Search Cell Phones, Locals Weigh In