Two Students Arrested Following Explosion Outside Gainesville Charter School
Two students are facing felony charges after Gainesville Police said one of them set off an explosive device at a charter school in Northeast Gainesville.
Around 8 a.m. GPD officers were sent to Hoggetowne Middle after school officials reported an explosive went off. According to police, the device went off about 20 feet from the front of the school with around 20 people in the area. No injuries were reported and there was no property damage.
Police arrested a 13-year-old Hoggetowne student who said his cousin taught him how to make the device using common household items. He also said his cousin learned the process from a video on the internet. Police then arrested his cousin, a 16-year-old Eastside High School student.
"They had these devices yesterday and set off three of them and he though he would do it today," said Lt. Keith Kameg of the Gainesville Police Department. "So this case was one that could've been much different. We take these charges very, very seriously."
Hoggetowne Middle's principal Gaspar Nichols said the student will be removed from the school. After their arrests both students were taken to the Juvenile Assessment Center for screening.
The 13-year-old faces charges of possession of a destructive device and discharging a weapon on school grounds. His 16-year-old cousin faces a charge of manufacturing a destructive device. All charges are felonies.
- Mother-Daughter Duo Opens New Charter School in Gainesville
- Gainesville Charter School Forced to Close
- Gainesville Man Arrested on Drug Charges Following Traffic Stop
- A Gainesville High School Student Is Helping Other Students With Their School Uniform Needs
- Two High School Students Bring Loaded Shotgun to Class
- New Alachua County Charter School Ready for First Day of School
- School Board Candidates Discuss Charter Schools
- University of Florida Student Hospitalized After Chemical Explosion
- School Nurse Arrested For Stealing Prescription Drugs From Students
- Gainesville Police Arrest Two In Credit Card Scam