82 Year-Old Shot and Killed while Sleeping
An 82 year-old La Crosse man is dead after being shot while sleeping in his home.
Alachua County Sheriff's deputies say someone shot through a bedroom window early Thursday morning on Northwest 52nd street.
The man's wife was home at the time, but she stepped out to use the bathroom just before her husband was shot and killed.
As 64 year-old Maria Cabezas got up to use the bathroom, she didn't think it would be the last time she would leave her husband alive. Minutes later, she hears a loud noise to find her husband, 82 year old Arsenio Cabezas, lying on the floor in his own blood.
Around 12:30am, Alachua County deputies responded to the home after receiving a 911 call about someone being shot. Investigators found a broken window where they say someone shot through that bedroom window hitting Cabezas. Three other people were home at the time - Cabezas' wife, the couple's son and his wife. Alachua County Sheriff's Lieutenant Steve Maynard says they are interviewing those family members to see if they may be connected to the shooting.
There are no suspects; there isn't even a suspect description. Lieutenant Maynard says they are trying to determine if Cabezas had any enemies. Investigators are classifying this as a homicide and they ruled out the possibility of a stray bullet hitting Cabezas.
- 11 & 15 Year-Olds Accused Of Killing Brother
- 16-Year-Old Shot and Killed at His Home in Palatka
- 18-Year-Old Shot and Killed in Suwannee
- 33-year-old man shot and killed in Silver Springs home
- 'Day of Healing' planned in honor of 16-year-old shot, killed
- Community celebrates life of 16-year-old shot and killed by law enforcement
- Benefit for Five- Year-Old Boy with Cancer
- 86 Year-Old Veteran Still Remembers
- 8-Year-Old Boy Set on Fire While Playing in Neighbors' Yard
- 18-year-old fatally shot in Clay County home robbery