Death toll stands at 51 in Moore, OK. Medical examiner told to expect at least 40 more bodies...20 of them children.
New Building Could Lead to Research Breakthroughs
The ribbon has been cut and the doors opened for a new biomedical sciences building at the University of Florida.
The scientists working there say the facility is unique because it combines researchers from three colleges under one roof.
And by working together in the same facility, scientists believe it will take their research to new heights.
University of Florida president Bernie Machen says this new biomedical sciences building on Center drive in Gainesville has been in the works for 10 years... And was much-needed.
“We brought in over 570 million last year and we're going to bring in over 600 million this year. That's people to make this thing work
Machen, along with health care officials, cut the ribbon at a dedication for the new building today.
The facility brings together researchers and students from the colleges of medicine, engineering and public health and health professions to bridge the world of engineering and biomedical science.
“It really helps us promote the translation between discovery in lab to the bedside and to the community where people live so health can be improved,” said David Guzick, President of UF and Shands Health System.
Guzick says there's several types of research that can benefit from bringing the engineering and biomedical sciences worlds together... like diabetes and alzheimers research…in hopes of developing improved therapies for patients.
And that's what we're told makes this building special... With a goal of thinking differently to help the community.
The biomedical sciences facility is over 160-thousand square feet and cost about 90 million dollars to build.
- New Research Suggests Virtual Learning Could Soon Play Larger Role
- Crist Signs Bill that Could Lead to Gambling
- Quick Errands Could Lead To Deadly Consequences
- Breaking Ground On New UF Research Facility
- DOC Proposing To Build New Prison
- Peaceful Paths Breaks Ground for New Building
- PSC Says GRU Can Build New Plant
- Grant Helps School Build New Playground
- UF Cuts Trees For New Building, Promises To Replace Them
- Shands Hospital is Building New Hotel For Families and Patients