Police Investigate Thieves Stealing Checks Across Fla.
It's becoming more common here in North Central Florida. Thieves from South Florida coming up I-75 and stealing checks and credit cards from cars in gyms and parks. Thieves broke into a car at a local gym on Thursday, stealing credit cards and then went to Ocala to purchase expensive merchandise. Gainesville Police estimate that over the past year, 70% of all car burglaries ended up like this. The crooks are getting smarter by using the farthest lanes from bank tellers. They also disguise themselves by wearing wigs and sunglasses. The best way to stop them is to take valuables with you or locking them in your car's glove compartment. Police say when the thieves are caught it is hard to keep them in jail because the crime ring will often pay their bail.
- Fla. Man Charged With Stealing Headstone Vases
- Authorities Investigate South Fla. Day Care Death
- Thieves Busted for Stealing Copper
- Thieves Steal Christmas Gifts from Broward County Family
- Fla. Police Want to Use Drones for Crowd Control
- Ocala Woman Accused of Stealing $53,000 In Checks
- Funeral For Ga. Family Killed In Fla. Crash
- Fla. Teens Charged with Shooting BB Gun at Driver
- Fla. Senate Revises 'Parent Trigger' Proposal
- Fla. College Presidents Given Expensive Perks