Free Food for Kids
It started last week, and will run until August 6th, children from 0 to 18 can receive free breakfast and lunch Monday through Friday.
Federally funded through the USDA, the nationwide, "Summer Feeding Program" opens cafeteria's when school doors close.
In Alachua county, the meals are available at 26 sites.
Last summer, 13,000 meals were served for breakfast, and 20,000 for lunch. The county's food and nutrition department hopes to far exceed the number of meals this year.
"All they need to do, it's very easy, come in and sign their name and phone number on our sign up sheet and they can come in every day after that," said Food and Nutrition Specialist, Penni Rodriguez.
Click here to see a list of sites in Alachua County.
- Summer meals program offers free food and nutrition
- Food4Kids Backpack Program Ramps Up
- Number of Florida Kids Who Qualify for Free and Reduced Lunch at an all time High
- Foster Kids Ice Skate For Free in Ocala
- Kids Enjoy Free Meals
- Federal Food Stamp Cuts, Affect Food Banks
- Ocala Food Food Pantry Struggling to Serve Community
- Kids Helping Kids
- Halloween Treats for Food Allergic Kids
- Where's your food coming from?