Mental Health Center Client Dies
The Department of Children and Families is investigating the death of a 23 year old man amid questions whether he received medical care in time. Anthony Barsotti was a client at the North Florida Evaluation and Treatment Center after being declared incompetent to stand trial for battery charges. Police say Barsotti and another client got into a fight Saturday evening. As staff went to intervene, Barsotti received a head injury. Police say Barsotti didn't appear hurt at first. After a couple hours, he complained of pain and was taken to North Florida Regional Center. DCF officials say this type of situation is uncommon.
"It's the first time this has happened at this facility in a long time, but one is one too many," says Department of Children and Family's Secretary George Sheldon
Barsotti was taken off life support today. The Alachua County Sheriff's Office will also be reviewing the case.
- Children's Mental Health Awareness Week
- Patient Dies from Bacteria found in Shands Cancer Center
- Man Arrested For Sexual Battery of a Mentally Disabled Teen
- Employees Charged With Abusing The Mentally Disabled
- Mental Health Money
- New Beds, New Initiatives to Help Mentally Ill Inmates
- Relief for Mentally Ill Inmates
- Drastic Downsizing at Mental Health Facility?
- Local Mental Health Facility on the Chopping Block? Maybe Not...
- Mental Health Help