Mental Health Center Client Dies
The Department of Children and Families is investigating the death of a 23 year old man amid questions whether he received medical care in time. Anthony Barsotti was a client at the North Florida Evaluation and Treatment Center after being declared incompetent to stand trial for battery charges. Police say Barsotti and another client got into a fight Saturday evening. As staff went to intervene, Barsotti received a head injury. Police say Barsotti didn't appear hurt at first. After a couple hours, he complained of pain and was taken to North Florida Regional Center. DCF officials say this type of situation is uncommon.
"It's the first time this has happened at this facility in a long time, but one is one too many," says Department of Children and Family's Secretary George Sheldon
Barsotti was taken off life support today. The Alachua County Sheriff's Office will also be reviewing the case.
- UF Health Drops Lawsuit, ORMC Trauma Center Will Stay Open
- Mental Health First Aid Training
- Children's Mental Health Awareness Week
- Prostitution Bust Sends 16 To Clay County Jail
- Two Women In Clay County Are Shot At In Their Car, One Dies
- Three suspended for paper waiting list at Gainesville VA
- Medical Spotlight: New Advances in Treating Coronary Blockages
- Your Health: 20 Hearts On 20
- Ocala Trauma Center Fights to Stay Open
- No bedside emergency buttons, few nurses on locked VA psych ward