Citizens Come Out in Support of Alachua County Sheriff
The half million dollar budget battle between Alachua County Sheriff Sadie Darnell and county commissioners is anything but over. The county commission heard heated public comment Tuesday night. Most were in favor of the sheriff's request to fund the gap instead of make more cuts. Darnell argued cuts simply aren't possible and public safety is on the line. Addressing the commission, she said weekend security over the proposed Koran burning best illustrates her department needs. She said she is prepared for a long fight.
"I have no other options than to take this to Tallahassee and what this will do is cause additional costs upon the community," said Darnell.
When asked about whether last night's comments by the public will effect the budget, County Commission Chair Cynthia Chestnut replied, "No comment." To see more on the meeting, click on the video to your right.
- School Comes Out to Support Girl With Rare Form of Cancer
- Marion County Sheriff's Citizens Academy Back After 12 Years
- Alachua County Commissioners Support Evinston Historic Post Office
- Alachua County Sheriff Asks County Commission For More Money
- Alachua County Sheriff's Office Saves Woman from Pasco County
- Judge Throws Out Lawsuit Against Gilchrist County Sheriff Schultz
- Maldova Comes to Alachua County
- Identity Theft Ring in Alachua County Comes to a Halt
- Wanted Tennessee Fugitive Arrested Across the Street from Alachua County Sheriff's Office
- Alachua County Sheriff's Office E-mail Causes Controversy Over Racism