Grandfather Uses 10 month old Grandson as "Human Shield"
The incident occurred around 1 AM this morning at 2339 Northeast 52nd Street in Gainesville as Dorthy Williams Hutchinson and Johnnie Allen Hutchinson were watching their four grandchildren at their daughter's home.
According to the police report, the husband and wife got into an argument as their grandchildren slept in the living room.
As the argument escalated, Dorthy Hutchinson threatened to throw hot grease on her husband, Johnnie if he didn't leave her alone.
The altercation continued and she approached him with a pan of hot grease from the stove. Then Johnnie allegedly used his 10 month old grandson as a "human shield" as Dorthy threw the grease on him.
The grease burned Hutchinson and caused first and second degree burns to the child's right leg and lower abdomen.
It also burned another grandson under his left eye and on the left side of his face.
When I spoke with the children's distraught mother, Kalandra Esau, she said that although her mom and step-dad argue, she never expected this.
Esau said, "I just don't understand it...just the whole thing because I know my step-daddy loves his grandkid's and I know my mother loves them also...and I just feel like this was just an accident, but it's just...I can't. I don't want to talk no more."
Dorthy Williams Hutchinson was arrested and charged with Aggravated Domestic Battery and 2 counts of Neglect of a Child. Johnnie Allen Hutchinson was arrested and charged with Aggravated Child Abuse (knowingly causing disfigurement).
Neighbors said they were shocked by the news and that the Hutchinson's are usually out in the yard playing with four happy children. The children's mother, Kalandra Esau told me that she was with the kids at the hospital and they are going to be alright. But the ordeal is far from over.
- 35 Year Old Human Remains Identified
- 17 Month Old Tragically Drowns In His Own Backyard
- Gainesville Mother Apparently Catches Babysitter Smothering Her 11-Month-Old Daughter
- Five-Month-Old Dead, Mom and Big Sister in Critical Condition
- Using new technology in old case
- "Give Me 5" for National Stroke Month
- "Breast Cancer Awareness Month" Kicks Off
- 5th Grader "Citizens of the Month" Tour City of Gainesville
- Major Banks Decide Monthly Debit Fee Doesn't Make "Cents"
- Inmates at the Alachua County Jail Are Using Their "Time" Wisely