UF Student Accused of Sexually Assaulting 3 Inebriated Victims...
There have been an alarming number of sexual assaults in Gainesville recently, with at least 7 reported to law enforcement in the last week.
And there was yet another incident early Sunday morning. But, it wasn't just one woman reporting the crime this time.
According to the Gainesville Police Department, alcohol is a factor in a lot of sexual assaults and rapes and their point was unfortunately illustrated in an incident involving a University of Florida student.
The alleged sexual assaults took place early Sunday morning at an apartment complex in Southwest Gainesville.
18 year old UF student, Robert Eugene Coburn, is accused of assaulting 3 different victims after a birthday party. Each victim was helpless because they had been drinking.
Detective Joseph May said, "It happens all the time...sadly...and yes these crimes are grossly unreported...they deserve a lot of credit for coming forward and reporting these crimes...and of course they're guilt ridden in a lot of these cases and they feel that somehow it might have been their fault or it wouldn't have happened if they were sober."
Detective Mayo said that the victims showed great courage by coming forward with what happened and said that the suspect admitted to contact with the women during his interrogation.
Robert Eugene Coburn was arrested last night and is being charged with 3 counts of sexual assault.
- Williston Man Arrested After Victim Tells Police She Was Sexually Assaulted
- Victim of Sexual Assault Comes Forward After 16 years
- Search for Man Accused of Sexual Assault
- Man Accused of Sexually Assaulting Woman In Hawthorne Field
- Gainesville Woman Accused Of Assaulting Victim With Weed Wacker
- UF Student Sexually Assaulted
- Handling of Jameis Winston Sexual Assault Case Criticized by Accuser's Lawyer
- Police Still Looking for Man Suspected of Sexually Assaulting Teenage Girl
- New Sexual Assault Guidelines - One College Ahead of the Curve
- Man Arrested For Sexual Assault