Growl Honors Performer
66-year-old Jake Mitchell was one of the first black entertainers to perform at Gator Growl. Hitting the stage with his band, "Little Jake and the Blenders" in 1960, Mitchell says, he was just 15.
"It was something new, it was a turn-around for integration, and for it to happen like that at the University of Florida, that was something big" said Mitchell.
Mitchell will be honored at Gator Growl on Friday, October 15.
- Dana Carvey to Perform at Gator Growl '09
- Military Vets Honored at 89th Annual 'Gator Growl'
- Come Rain or Shine the Gator Will Growl
- Gator Growl 2007
- Gator Growl Stage Set Up
- Live With Gator Growl Producer
- Gator Growl
- UF Bans Cheer Team From Performing Aerial Stunts
- Renovations for Ocala's Performing Arts Conservatory
- 15- Year Old Author, Composer, and Performer