All American Liberty Fest Honors Veterans Young and Old
Veterans Day was Thursday, but the celebrations continued into the weekend, with Sante Fe College hosting a patriotic event today.
There are over 1,000 veterans attending college in Gainesville. These young veterans were honored along with those who've come before them, at the first annual "All American Liberty Fest" today.
The event was free for the whole family and featured music, special speakers and games. The Collegiate Veterans Society at Sante Fe partnered with the Alachua County School Board, Alachua County Sheriff's Office, veterans community and local businesses to offer the patriotic event to the community.
Organizer, Drew Hill, said, "Well it's especially important to honor veterans on veterans day, that's our time of year where we can remember the sacrifices and everything that vets have gone through for our country and economically there are over a 1,000 veterans going to college here in town and that brings over a million dollars a month into Gainesville businesses and the Gainesville community...so veterans are vitally important to Alachua county."
Joe Galloway is a former war correspondent who co-authored the book that inspired the film "We Were Soldiers." He said the young veterans in our area are some of the finest Americans he's ever met. He said, "It's up to this community and every community in America to stop once in awhile to say thank you for what you are doing, for what you have done...old vets, new vets, any vets. Because they have served and sacrificed."
At the center of the service, there was a huge 30 by 60 foot flag raised and a tree called, "The Liberty Oak" dedicated. All to honor those who have sacrificed for America.
Over 1,500 people attended the All American Liberty Fest. The money raised will benefit Alachua County Veterans.
- 2nd Annual All American Liberty Fest
- Local Medal of Honor Recipient Honored by American Legion
- Parsons Wins AP All-American Honorable Mention, Wonders "What If?"
- Santa Fe College Baseball Pitcher Honored Second Team All- American
- Alachua County honors veteran in National Medal of Honor Day
- Aaron Hernandez's All American Brick Removed from UF
- Milton Lewis Young Marines Honored
- Governor Scott honors young entrepreneurs at UF's Innovation Hub
- Highest Honors For An American Hero
- 15-Year-Old Dies at Bubba Raceway- Too Young to Be on Track?