Community Mourns the Loss of 5 Children
The initial chaos is over, but the extent of the tragedy is now being felt as the family and community cope with the loss of 5 children after the devastating house fire in Citra last night.
Principal of North Marion Middle School, John Williams said, "You lose three students...one in each grade level. You know, the whole campus is affected."
Joseph, Austin and Shyanne Jordan all attended North Marion Middle school in Citra.
8-year-old William Jordan went to Anthony Elementary and 6-year-old Trenity Jordan went to Sparr Elementary.
North Marion Principal, John Williams, remembers 15-year-old Joseph as being very close to his class.
Williams said 13-year-old Austin had a unique group of friends and that 12-year-old Shyanne was part of the marching band.
Williams said, "It is so uncommon, you hear about things going on in other places. But when you're a part of it you just have to move and you're almost numb."
To help students and teachers deal with the tragedy, grief counselors are on-hand at each of the schools where the children attended and there are plans to memorialize the Jordan children.
Myron Clinton of the Mid-Florida American Red Cross, was with the mother and grandmother at the hospital and says the family was in shock.
Clinton said, "They were distraught, in pretty rough shape, you can imagine how you'd feel if you went through something like that." Clinton said he hopes that taking care of the immediate needs of the family, like medical, clothing, food and shelter will help start the healing process.
But with such an incredible loss, the road to healing will be long.
Community efforts to benefit the Jordan family are underway.
- Community Mourns Loss of Well-Known Teacher
- Mourning the Loss of Officer Killed in the Line of Duty
- Family & Friends Mourn The Loss Of Grooveshark Director
- Family Mourns Loss of Daughter at Hands of Father
- A Community Mourns The Death of Two Bradford High School Teens
- Bell Tragedy: Community Mourns Lives Lost
- A Community Still In Mourning
- Gainesville Jewish Community Mourns Paris Attack Victims
- Camelot Community Care Helping Florida's Children and Families
- Gainesville Children's Theatre, Singing Their Way Through The Community