Fire at the College of Central Florida Aquatic Center
The Newton Perry Aquatic Center at the College of Central Florida was in flames Tuesday night.
The next day, officials at the college believed the flames were due to an electrical fire that started from a microwave which quickly spread throughout the building.
College officials toured the facility Wednesday.
"It's pretty charred," Jim Harvey, SVP of Administration & Finance said. "Everything in the center of the building, the offices were totally destroyed, as well as all the computer equipment, furniture, lockers."
Swim Coach Bill Bargo was there Tuesday night when firefighters were still putting out the flames. He returned Wednesday to asses the damage.
"It's probably a little worse today because you've got the sun out and I can see the damage and everything," he said. "I've got thirty years worth of stuff in there, so it's pretty much wiped it out of us."
Bargo then told his swim team that practice will resume on Monday at a nearby facility.
No one was injured during the fire.
- Great Invader Raider Rally helps environment
- Is North Central Florida Prepared for Ebola?
- North Central Florida Girl Scouts traveling to Africa for a cause
- Man hopes to create North Central Florida's first floatation therapy center
- College of Central Florida to Receive $4.3 Million in State Funding
- College of Central Florida Allegedly Denies Admission to Students from Ocala School
- Central Florida Community College Celebrates Black History Month
- College of Central Florida President to Retire
- Grass Fires Ignite Across North Central Florida
- State's Largest Fire Continues to Burn in North Central Florida