Stunning Defeat in Alachua County
A stunning defeat in Alachua County. Voters kicked an established politician out of office in turn she kicked the media out of her after party. Commission chair Cynthia Chestnut will be replaced for the first time in recent memory by a republican. Chestnut offered the media just one word "out." She offered no comment after it appeared she would lose. The winner, republican Susan Baird, celebrated her victory surrounded by rowdy supporters.
"my goal was to really start representing what the people need in Alachua county so that we can do better so we can set ourselves up and prosper," said Baird.
With the all precincts reporting, Baird had 54.04 percent of the vote compared to Chestnut's 45.96. To see more on this report, watch the video to your right.
- Marion County Sheriffs Upgrade Stun Guns
- Deputies Forced to Stop Using Stun Guns
- Alachua County Democratic Party Wants Alachua County Democratic Black Caucus Charter Revoked
- Alachua County Sheriff Asks County Commission For More Money
- Alachua County Firefighters Protest Tentative County Budget
- Alachua County Resumes Search for New County Manager
- Alachua County Commission Makes Final Choice for County Manager
- Alachua County Resident Get's A Big Gift from the County
- Alachua County Sheriff's Office Saves Woman from Pasco County
- West Nile Virus Found in Alachua County