According to the National Fire Protection Association cooking fires are the number one cause of home fires and home fire injuries. Thanksgiving remains the leading day for cooking fires.
We are just a week away from Thanksgiving, it's time to make your preparations. Family and friends will gather in the kitchen; cooking, catching up, and giving thanks. All the chaos may bring some unwanted surprises.
Alachua County fire marshal Mark Smith says do not leave the kitchen unattended and children should remain away from the stoves. If you plan to fry your turkey, know that oil and water don't mix.
- Average Cost for Thanksgiving Dinner
- Congress Prepares for a Long Night in Preparation for a Possible Government Shutdown
- More Americans expected to travel for Thanksgiving
- Thanksgiving Baskets Help Local Families
- School Board Considers Longer Thanksgiving Holiday
- Traveling During the Thanksgiving Holiday? Plan Ahead if Your're Coming Back Sunday
- Helping the Homeless on Thanksgiving
- Plumbers Busy Thanksgiving Week
- Alachua County School Board to Approve Weeklong Thanksgiving Break
- Salvation Army Feeding the Homeless Before & After Thanksgiving