Cab Drivers Accused of Illegal Pricing
Cab companies in Gainesville have been taking people for a ride. An undercover operation found that nearly every cab company in Gainesville had a driver who skipped using the meter potentially over-charging customers. After complaints from students about astronomical and vague cab fares, University of Florida and Gainesville police went undercover with volunteers.
Out of 19 rides taken, 11 drivers didn't bother to use the meter.
"The opportunity if they were going to be overcharged is certainly there," said UPD Chief Linda Stump.
The fine for each violation is just 50 dollars. To see more on this report including one taxi driver's take, watch the video to your right.
- Drivers Are Not The Only Ones Hurting From Gas Prices
- Texting & Driving May Soon Be Illegal In Florida
- Illegal Backyard Burning
- Illegal Gambling In Gilchrist County
- Trophy Buck Killed Illegally
- Illegal Immigrant Smugglers Will Face Penalties
- Illegal Online Gambling stopped in "Operation Game Over"
- "Operation Dry Water" Cracks Down on Illegal Boating Activities
- Alachua County Law Enforcement to Crack Down on Illegal Passing of School Buses
- Gainesville Police Set up Decoys To Help Curb Illegal Crosswalk Practice