District Spelling Bee
38 fifth through eighth grade Alachua county students stepped up to the mic at the district spelling bee.
The bee came down to one word: geta, which according to the dictionary, is a Japanese flip flop. Something the champion, Pierce Tolar, 12, has never worn, but knows how to spell.
"Everybody else did their best, and it was really fun to compete like this," said Tolar.
The last three competitors included Tolar and Alexandra Ro, 11, Oak Hall Middle School and Meenali Patel, 11, Oak View Middle School.
Tolar is home-schooled in Gainesville, and will move on to the regional competition in Jacksonville in February.
The regional winner then advances to nationals in Washington D.C. Tolar says he and his mom studied over a thousand words to prepare for the spelling bee.
- J.J. Finley Student Wins District Spelling Bee
- Spelling Bee
- Alachua County names new Spelling Bee champion
- Ocala Teen Competes in National Spelling Bee
- Gainesville Housing Authority holds inaugural spelling bee
- Annual Alachua County Spelling Bee
- New Rules for National Spelling Bee
- Young Spelling Bee Champion
- New Spelling Bee Champion
- Busy Bees (National Honey Bee Awareness Week)