One Year Anniversary
A year has passed but the trauma remains for the people of Dixie County. One year ago today, Sheriff's Captain Chad Reed was shot and killed in the line of duty. His accused killer has not gone to trial. One woman says Reed saved her life that day. She was working as the cashier at the BP gas station when tragedy struck. Tracy Varnum still gets flashbacks of the night that she stood and watched it all unfold.
Varnum says she didn't want to be at work today, because for her, that day is fresh in her mind. She says "Chad was first on the scene." Reed was shot when murder suspect John Kalisz opened fire. Varnum believes if Reed hadn't gotten there as soon as he did, Kalisz could have come after her.
She is sorrowful for Reed's death, and the family he left behind, but thankful, that she's alive to tell the story.
Reed was a hero to those who knew him and touched the lives of many in his young life. When he died, he left behind his wife Holly and two sons CJ and Caden.
- Family, friends remember 7 children killed in tragic accident nine years ago today
- 4 Years Later, Still No Answers
- Gainesville Garden Club Celebrates 90 Years
- Couple celebrates 65 years of marriage
- Career fair celebrates 80 year anniversary
- Remembering Vietnam veterans 50 years later
- Christian Aguilar App Launched One Year After His Murder
- Gainesville Runners Remember Boston Marathon Victims on One Year Anniversary of Bombings
- Remembering Curtis and Dante One Year Later
- Woman's Roof has Leaked for Three Years- Now She's Getting a New One