A lot can be learned from what goes on inside our nation's courtrooms, and that's the message former President of ABC News, David Westin delivered to law students Thursday morning, at the opening celebration of the Advocacy Center Courtroom.
Robert Jerry, Dean of UF Levin College of Law said it's one of the best teaching courtrooms in the nation. The trial and appellate courtroom contains a 98-seat gallery, a bench for seven judges, a jury box, attorney's tables, judge's chambers and a jury deliberation room.
"We also designed it in a way that it will be a terrific space for courts to come here and hold their own live proceedings, so our students can literally walk from one building to another and watch either an appellate or a trial here," he said.
Dean Jerry's long-time friend and former classmate at the University of Michigan Law School, David Westin, shared his experiences as first an attorney, and then as the President of ABC News.
"I hope besides learning a little bit about the way the media works, I hope they take the notion that some of the things their learning in law school have application well beyond the law," he said.
Westin stressed that respectful arguments inside our nation's courtrooms could shape how the media shares different viewpoints, which now, he said, emphasizes extreme opinions and divides more than it brings together.
Construction on the second floor of the Martin Levin Advocacy Center will begin next week. Funding for the $5 million facility came mainly from donations, including a $2 million gift from Frederic Levin, and a $1 million dollar gift from Teri Levin. Some state funding is involved as well.
- Accused Murderer Pedro Bravo Appears Before a Full Courtroom
- Brawl Breaks Out Outside of Courtroom
- School Shooter "Flips Off" Courtroom During Sentencing
- Courtroom Chaos Caught on Tape
- Flag Day Reading Celebration
- 10th Annual Celebration of Biotechnology
- Local Queen's Jubilee Celebration
- Gainesville Gay Rights Activists Celebrate SCOTUS Decision on Steps of City Hall
- Police Urge People Not to Fire Guns in Celebration
- Gator Aviators Celebrate A Victory During The National Red Bull Flugtag Event