82 Year Old Man Murdered In Suwannee County
A murder in the small town of Wellborn, outside of Lake City has family and neighbors reeling. He was close enough to be considered family, but an extended member of that family has admitted to killing 82 year old Robert Przybysz.
The elderly man lived in a trailer on the property of longtime family friends who helped take care of him. Those friends found Przybysz, affectionately called "Uncle Robert," dead in his trailer Tuesday night.
Investigators say Shane Worell used a meat cleaver to beat Przybysz to death.
Cathy Lund, who chose not to appear on camera said, "Completely in shock that this would happen to someone that...there was no reason to." Lund says they never imagined that a family dispute would turn deadly.
She said, "Even if you think you know someone and don't think they have that capability in them..."
Up until a few days ago, the defendant was living on this property along with the victim and other family members. Lund says her family took in 37 year old Shane Worell, a relative by marriage, to help him get sober.
But when Worell stole money and started drinking again, they had a heated argument and he was asked to leave. Investigators say Worell confessed that he returned later that evening, apparently to get money from Robert Przybysz. Worell said, "He hit the victim in the head with a meat cleaver and he took the victim's wallet and that it contained $20."
Lund says they initially thought that the attack was a random act of violence. And the fact that Przybysz was so frail makes it even more unbelievable. Lund said, "You know anybody could have just taken what they wanted from him at any time, they didn't need to kill him."
Amy Mongeon lives next door and said she often saw Worell walking near her property. Even though Worell is in custody, she says this crime hits too close to home. She said, "It definitely made me want to run home and you know not let my kids be home alone."
Lund says they have a funeral planned for next weekend and are trying to heal from the loss of their "Uncle Robert." Lund said, "He gave everything to all of our family. He raised all of the kids, the grandkids, the great grand kids."
Suwannee County Sheriff Tony Cameron says Worell currently faces a first degree pre-meditated murder charge and will soon face a grand jury. The Sheriff says Worell does have a non-violent criminal history.
- 3 years later, one man remains suspect
- 19 year old Arrested for Waldo Murder
- 21-Year-Old Man Drowns At Popular Dixie County Swimming Spot
- Gainesville Man Charged With Sexual Battery of 14 Year Old Girl
- 33-year-old man shot and killed in Silver Springs home
- MCSO deputies searching for man who drugged and raped a 15-year-old girl
- MCSO: 26-year-old man fatally shot in the driveway of a Silver Springs Shores home
- 10 Year Old Saves the Day in Sturgeon Accident
- Amber Alert issued for missing Citrus County 1-year-old and 3-year-old
- 4-year-old dies after being strangled by 11-year-old, according to deputies