A Dixie County family is piecing together years worth of memories scattered in their front yard. The family says they were trying to work out a deal with their lender to avoid foreclosing on their home, when the bank hired a company to demolish a storage unit on their property. It was filled with pictures and personal belongings. In these tough economic times, the family's attorney suggests some lenders may be breaking the rules.
According to the Mortgage Bankers Association, Florida has the highest percentage of home loans in some stage of foreclosure; hitting 14 percent at the end of last year. One attorney suggests the climbing numbers have banks bending the rules, and homeowners left in the middle. Allen and Vicki Cook are still picking up the pieces of what's left of their memories. Cook says their lender, BAC Home Loans Servicing, hired a company to demolish their storage unit on February 15th.
Michael O'Steen is the Cook's attorney. O'Steen says "the banks response to most of these is that they have so many foreclosures that these things are going to happen because of numbers." O'Steen says the Cook's had a hearing with BAC in December to work out a deal, but BAC was a no show. Between that time and the rehearing scheduled for February 23rd, the Cook's shed was torn apart. BAC didn't show up for that second hearing, so the judge dismissed the case.
The Neighborhood Assistance Corporation of America is free program that helps homeowners with their home loans. To sign up for their workshop and became eligible for an adjustment on your mortgage.
click here: http://www.naca.com/refinance/refinanceTenStep.jsp
- Ex-NFL and UCF QB Culpepper Loses Home in Foreclosure
- Ocala Among Top 5 Foreclosure Markets in the Nation
- Gainesville Ranks 7th on a list of New Foreclosure Capitals
- Hotline Provides Help To Homeowners Facing Foreclosure
- Defending residential foreclosures
- Florida's Foreclosure Crisis
- Floridians Receive Foreclosure Help
- Florida Supreme Court Foreclosure Taskforce
- Officials Provide Assistance To Homeowners Facing Foreclosure
- Community Legal Services Offering Help With Foreclosure