The Dixie County Grand Jury concluded the actions of deputies during a shooting with a suspect in late January were justified. Dixie County deputies responded to a 9-1-1 call from the suspects sister who had claimed her brother, Richard Yearwood, was threatening to kill her. When law enforcement arrived on scene, Yearwood's behavior got worse. Deputies say they had no other option but to use deadly force against Yearwood. Despite accusations from Yearwoods family of overreacting, the Grand Jury ruled they acted appropriately.
Richard Yearwood was flown and treated at Shands where he was released days later. A warrant is now out for his arrest on charges of aggravated assault on a law enforcement officer and resisting officers with violence.
- Fatal Dog Shooting Justified, Owners Disagreed
- Levy County Sheriff's Office Justifies Spending
- Shooting Injures Mother and Child, Neighbors Believe the Shooting was Retaliation
- Gunman in Lake Butler Shooting Spree Left Behind a Note
- Local Vigil For Connecticut Shooting Victims
- Deadly Shooting in Jacksonville School
- Zephyrhills Woman Shoots Husband
- Fla. Teens Charged with Shooting BB Gun at Driver
- Fla. Homeowner Fatally Shoots Invader
- Deadly I-4 Shooting Was a Case of "Mistaken Identity"