Teacher Given Verbal Reprimand
A comment made by a high school teacher has ended with a reprimand from school district authorities, but that's not enough for the parents of a student who say she was offended.
"The teacher has been issued a verbal reprimand; told that the remark was inappropriate," said Jackie Johnson, spokesperson for Alachua County Public Schools.
According to the districts investigation, last month, Gainesville High School teacher Michelle Lewis told her class they would go to a black history month assembly only when there is, "a white history day, Jewish history day, Hispanic history day, or gay pride day."
The Young Family says Lewis' statement in the report, doesn't line up with their daughter's account of what Lewis said.
"You did not say that, you're lying, you said, white history, and gay and lesbian history... that's what you said, now you want to add something to it," said George Young.
Prior to their investigation, district officials sat down with the Young family, who filed a complaint shortly after Lewis' comment.
"She acknowledged that it was inappropriate, and during a meeting with the parents and the student, did acknowledge that it was inappropriate and apologized to the student for making it," said Johnson.
However according to the Youngs, that apology didn't happen.
"In that meeting, in front of her principal she said, 'no I did not make that statement,'" said Tracey Young.
The Youngs are demanding a written statement from Lewis, and will be pursing legal action against the school district- suing for racial discrimination against their daughter.
Lewis did not return a message from us, and GHS principal Dixon did not call us back.
- Fla. College Presidents Given Expensive Perks
- Violent Video Games Given Protection
- Drug Offenders given a Choice by OPD
- Alachua's "Project Legacy" Given $500,000
- Einstein School Given Alternative School Rating and Is Not in Danger of Closing
- Boys Battling Cancer Given VIP Treatment at Gatornationals
- Verbal Smackdown Inside Alachua County Commission Meeting
- Five Gators Transfer, Two Verbally Commit
- FBI Is Given New Rules
- No Privacy When Telling On Your Teacher