Tragic Irony, Cyclist Killed While Riding for Bicycle Awareness
More details have emerged as to what may have caused a fatal bicycle accident. The accident occurred Wednesday during a safety awareness ride in Alachua county. Troopers said it appears the driver, 23-year old Brian Bunting, may have been distracted with his cell phone when his pickup truck struck 65-year old rider Robert King's bike. For the hundreds of cyclists riding alongside King this week across North Central Florida, it's a reminder of just dangerous the road can be.
"Everybody was in shock. We are all, the Bike Florida family, just devastated," said Bike Florida president Leigh Matusick.
"Devastated" is how a family member described the driver to TV20 by phone. To see a full report, watch the video on the right side of the page.
- Cyclists riding to find a cure for Breast Cancer
- Girl Killed While Riding Her Bike
- Family, friends remember 7 children killed in tragic accident nine years ago today
- Bike group rides through Gainesville for domestic violence awareness
- Two Cyclists Killed in Two Separate Crashes
- Gainesville's First Bike Boulevard Officially Open
- Man Kills Mother Of His Daughter, While She's Pregnant With Her Next Child
- Pedestrian Killed While Crossing Street
- 82 Year-Old Shot and Killed while Sleeping
- Friends give benefit for former North Marion athlete killed while jogging