35 Year Old Human Remains Identified
The identity of human remains found in Dixie County 35 years ago have been discovered. DNA pulled from the skeletal remains matched that of a mother in California who's son had been missing since 1974. Technology and forensics led investigators to who the remains belonged to but now investigators are searching for the why.
When James Norris didn't come home after a trip to Florida in 1974, his family in California began their search through missing persons databases. Time passed and technology changed, but it was the family's DNA profile that ultimately yielded a perfect match to human remains found here in North Central Florida 35 years ago.
Investigators say James Norris, using the name Richard Gunning, flew to Miami on October 3rd, 1974 and then drove to Dixie County looking to buy marijuana. The last time he contacted his family was a postcard he sent from Inglis, dated the next day. Because of the DNA profile Norris' mother submitted to a missing persons database, investigators finally made an exact match to her son James Norris, two years after she passed. Bringing his family from San Francisco, to the place he died, for the first time.
The Dixie County Sheriff's Office and Florida Department of Law Enforcement have leads they are following, but they do not have a suspect. They hope that, even though it's been 35 years, someone may remember something to lead them to the killer.
Anyone with information regarding this investigation is asked to contact FDLE Special Agent Mike Kennedy at (850) 410-7450.
- Human Remains Identified as Missing Marion County Man
- Police Officially Identify Live Oak Boy's Remains
- Bradford Authorities Positvely Identify Remains
- Human Remains Found In Backyard Believed To Be Missing Man
- Human Remains Found by Man Scrapping Metal
- Human Remains Found in a Van in Gilchrist County
- Detectives Call Ft. McCoy Human Remains Discovery a "Suspicious" Death Investgation
- Human remains found in Ocklawaha
- Human Remains May Be Missing Marion County Man
- 4-year-old dies after being strangled by 11-year-old, according to deputies