Children on Motorcycles?
A shocking picture sent to TV20 leads to a question about motorcycles and Florida law. The answers may surprise you...
A toddler in a car seat on the back of a motorcycle, about to merge onto the interstate. This shocked one Gainesville viewer enough that they snapped these pictures and sent them to us. Their question: Is this legal?
Gainesville Motorcycle Safety Instructor Eddie May said, "I think with that one they try to leave it up to common sense, but common sense isn't so common."
As it turns out, this is legal. The law does require anyone under 21 years old to wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle and passengers must sit behind the driver....with no minimum age specified.
May said, "I would never recommend that." He says it's one of those situations where just because something is legal, it's not necessarily advisable. Like for example, the fact that after age 21, you can choose not to wear a helmet as long as you have insurance. Although Florida law does not require every rider to wear a helmet, experts say it's critical for safety on the road. Mays said, "Even if you fall down at 10 miles an hour and hit your head on the concrete, you could have serious brain injury or even worse, die."
May teaches the law at the mandatory motorcycle safety course he runs, but lessons go beyond to make sure the riders are as safe as possible through maneuvering drills and coaching.
Avid rider Derek Williamson says even with every safety precaution he's learned here, he would not take a young child on the open road. Williamson said, "It's something that you would want to share with someone, but you also want to be thoughtful about taking that person out."
Should you choose to take a child on a motorcycle, there are accepted guidelines for young passengers. For more information, visit Your text to link... or Your text to link...
- Well-Known Chef Killed in Motorcycle Accident
- Mass Motorcycle Accident On I-75
- Starke Man Dies After Losing Control Of His Motorcycle
- Hawthorne Man Dies In Motorcycle Crash
- Fatal Motorcycle Accident
- Motorcycle Crash Seriously Injures Two in Suwannee County
- Starke Man Injured in Motorcycle Crash
- Matt Smith Looks to Start Quest of Defending World Championship in Pro Stock Motorcycle
- Family of Pro Stock Motorcycle Racers Find Fun in Competition
- Child's Wish Fulfilled In Motorcycle Parade