Internet Crimes Against Children, Parents are First Line of Defense
An internet warning for parents: you are the first line of defense in safeguarding your children. Monday's town hall meeting of community leaders in Alachua county was a reminder that nothing is as it appears on the information super highway. The number of internet crimes against children are rising. Among the biggest issues is child porn. In a 90-day period, detectives recorded more than 202 separate users in the county who accessed what has already been classified as child porn.
"The infants that are being used for child pornography...that's the real underground, sick part of this crime where those children have no concept of what they are being used for and why," said Sheriff Sadie Darnell of Alachua county.
Of those 202 incidents, officers with the North Florida Internet Crimes Against Children task force wouldn't comment on how many are under investigation but merely said "not enough." There are many websites that offer helpful tips for safeguarding children. Two sites, police officers recommended are www.netsmartz.org and www.isafe.org.
To see a full report, watch the video on the right side of this page.
- Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force
- FBI Raid Exposes Online Crimes Against Children
- Crimes Against Children
- DCF Releases Past History with Sarah Spirit and Her Children, Funerals Held Today
- Safety Tips To Parents About Phone/Internet Safety For Kids
- Parents Line Up For Voluntary Pre-Kindergarten
- Center for Children with Incarcerated Parents
- Parents Say Drive Through Nativity is too Graphic for Children
- Fall Festival Benefits Parents of Special Needs Children
- Protesters Line Up in Front of Walmart to Fight Back Against "Union-Busting Tactics"