Butler Plaza Plans Move Forward
A long-awaited regional shopping center got the green light from Gainesville's city commission Monday night but not without much debate. For about 3 hours, commissioners discussed the Butler Plaza proposed expansion.
In the end, they voted to move forward with a 6 to 1 vote. The one dissenting vote was commissioner Thomas Hawkins. Most of the commission's members want the plaza to include more public spaces. Developers argued that will drive business away.
"No where else in the state of Florida... certainly no where else in Gainesville is this condition imposed on a private property holder and that would mean we would be at a, as singled out, at a distinct competitive disadvantage." said Linda Shelly on behalf of the Butler team.
To see a full report, watch the video on the right side of this page.
- Huge Development Plan Will Move Forward
- City Moves Forward With Poe Springs Plan
- Reitz Union Expansion Plan Moving Forward
- Butler Plaza Expansion, I-75 Overpass
- City Commission Approves Changes to Butler Plaza Expansion Project
- Texting While Driving Ban Moves Forward
- Charter Amendment Including Transgender Ordinance Moves Forward
- City, County Commissioners Ready to Move Forward after Joint Meeting
- Nuclear Plant for Levy Moves Forward
- 16th Street Project Moves Forward