Can Gun Bring Peace?
Gainesville police arrest a second suspect in the shooting death of Jearicka Mack, the 15-year-old Trenton High School student known by many as "Pooh."
However, many questions in the case still remain unanswered.
"I can't believe it till I see her..." said Jantevia Mack, 18, who will bury her sister Jearicka this week.
"It's not gonna be the same without my sister," she said Tuesday, "I want to know the true story."
Pooh was shot and killed in the parking lot of the Lions Club in Gainesville. Detectives have the shooter and the man who drove him to and from the scene, but one question remains: where is the gun?
"The original suspect never even admitted he had a gun, and Mr. Demps is saying he doesn't know where the gun is at this point," said Bennie Smith, GPD Detective.
Police arrested Simeon Demps, 18, on Monday. Detectives say he drove the alleged shooter, Dontavious Copeland, 17, to his apartment to change clothes. Cops found the clothes, but no gun.
"More often than not we don't get the gun, the state attorney's office can go forward with prosecution without the gun," he said.
However, Pooh's sister says she won't go forward until the gun, and the person who has it, steps up. She adds, the men arrested so far, were "friends" of Pooh's.
"The others ones called her sister, we called them brother, all of us hung together, went to school with each other, and that's what makes me you know? That's just crazy. That's what I don't get, and then they don't don't wanna step forward," said Mack.
There's a $1,000 reward for anyone with information on the gun's whereabouts.
Pooh's funeral is Saturday, May 28th at 1PM, at Westside Baptist Church off Newberry Road.
- Atlanta Floods May Bring Temporary Peace to Water Wars
- Kid Brings Guns to School
- Student brings Air Soft gun and bullets to school
- Convicted Felon Brings Gun to Work, Threatens Co-Workers
- UF employee arrested after bringing loaded gun on campus
- Student facing charges for bringing BB-Gun, drugs to school
- Vanguard student arrested after bringing loaded gun on campus
- Peace Ribbon Project
- Peaceful Rally for Trayvon
- Stand-Off Ends Peacefully After Mother Pleads With Son to Surrender