Cross City Woman Seriously Injured by Jumping Sturgeon
A jumping Sturgeon broke a woman's leg Sunday afternoon in the Suwannee River when it jumped onto an airboat. Tina Fletcher, 25, was sitting on the front of her boyfriends airboat, when she says, the sturgeon jumped onto the front landing on her right leg. Fletcher broke her tibia and was in surgery this afternoon at North Florida Regional Medical Center.
Fletcher told TV-20 she had to get a rod and four screws put into her leg. Fletcher said, "My boyfriend and I are going to stick to boating in the Gulf from here on out."
According to Fish and Wildlife spokesperson, Karen Parker, this is the fifth sturgeon related incident this year. There were no reports last year. Parker says the Sturgeon come to the Suwannee River from April through October to reproduce. The Sturgeon can get up to 8ft long and weigh up to 300 pounds.
- Woman Seriously Injured By Elephant in Levy County
- Jumping Sturgeon Are Back
- Jumping Sturgeon Hazards
- Sturgeon injures Two Live Oak Residents
- Motorcylist Seriously Injured, Attacked By Wild Turkey
- Child, 2, Seriously Injured After Crawling Under SUV
- Motorcycle Crash Seriously Injures Two in Suwannee County
- Semi Truck Crash in Marion County Leaves Driver Seriously Injured
- UPDATE: Pilot Seriously Injured In Small Plane Crash
- Injured Florida Skydiver Says He'll Jump Again