It appears that 15-year-old Jearicka Mack was in the wrong place at the wrong time-killed in the crossfire between rival gangs.
Mack was one of just 89 students in the freshmen class at Trenton High School, making her absence-- that much more noticeable.
"She was my best friend...and it's just so hard that she gone," said T'Keyha Powell, Mack's best friend.
Mack was shot and killed Saturday while at a birthday party in Gainesville. News that's sinking in among her peers.
"I was in denial... and I told her, no she can't be... and she really was," said Powell.
Mack's friends and family called her "Pooh."
"She was very outgoing, loved to talk, always smiling... always had something to tell you," said Khalil Kearson, a close friend and classmate.
"We met last week and went over her grades and over her classes for next year. She was very focused, very concerned about how she could raise her GPA," said Mandy NeSmith, Mack's guidance counselor.
Dontavious Copeland, 17-years-old, a known gang member, was arrested for killing Mack.
Jearicka's dad, Jearick Mack, told TV20, "Upon hearing of her death, it crushed me because I didn't want to believe that had happened.
It crushed my heart. It took a lot from me. When I first held her as a baby, she had a smile on her face--and she has been happy ever
- "Remembering Our Fallen" Exhibit Honors Local Heroes
- Remembering 9/11
- North Central Florida Remembers Nelson Mandela
- Family, friends remember 7 children killed in tragic accident nine years ago today
- UF student remembers Pulse victim
- MCSO: Remembering fallen deputy Brian Litz
- Homeless "Meal Limit" Changed to "Time Limit"
- "Dog-Gone": City Rejects "Doggy Daycare" Code
- "Arbor House" in "Skeleton Mode"
- Gainesville Runners Remember Boston Marathon Victims on One Year Anniversary of Bombings