Double Drowning During Family Reunion at Lake Weir
Underwater recovery teams will be out in the waters of Lake Weir early Tuesday morning. They will be searching for the bodies of two relatives who drowned while boating on the lake Monday. A 44-year old woman and a child were swimming in deep water when it appeared they were going under. A 56-year old man on their boat jumped in and rescued the child before him and the woman went under. Family members said the man is the father of 35-year old kenneth James Stephens. Stephens was killed in a mining accident in Sumter county just before Christmas last year.
"The family was here for the memorial and just to have a family reunion and celebrate that person's life and unfortunately it seems like they've lost two more of their family members in this drowning accident," said Jennifer Lowe with the Marion County Sheriff's Office.
For a full report, watch the video on the right side of this page.
- Victims Of Lake Weir Drowning Recovered
- Local Man Drowns at Lake Weir
- Lake Weir Drowning
- Lake Weir Middle School Student Hit By Truck, Dies
- Lake Weir Middle School Receives Instruments
- Lake Weir vs Forest at Lake Weir Football Highlights
- Hawthorne Celebrates 79th Annual Reunion
- Family Found Car in Lake, Called for Help
- Lake City Community Comes Together to Show Support for Cason Family
- 1-Year-Old Girl Drowns in Family's Swimming Pool