Double Drowning During Family Reunion at Lake Weir
Underwater recovery teams will be out in the waters of Lake Weir early Tuesday morning. They will be searching for the bodies of two relatives who drowned while boating on the lake Monday. A 44-year old woman and a child were swimming in deep water when it appeared they were going under. A 56-year old man on their boat jumped in and rescued the child before him and the woman went under. Family members said the man is the father of 35-year old kenneth James Stephens. Stephens was killed in a mining accident in Sumter county just before Christmas last year.
"The family was here for the memorial and just to have a family reunion and celebrate that person's life and unfortunately it seems like they've lost two more of their family members in this drowning accident," said Jennifer Lowe with the Marion County Sheriff's Office.
For a full report, watch the video on the right side of this page.
- Victims Of Lake Weir Drowning Recovered
- Local Man Drowns at Lake Weir
- Lake Weir Drowning
- Double Shooting In Lake City, Family Reaction
- Lake Weir Middle School Receives Instruments
- Trevante Taylor Arrested at Lake Weir Football Game, Facing Trouble On 3 Fronts
- Lake Weir Middle School Student Hit By Truck, Dies
- Teens Arrested for Vandalizing Lake Weir Middle School
- Hawthorne Celebrates 79th Annual Reunion
- Lake Weir vs Forest at Lake Weir Football Highlights